Anime Talk & Review : One Punch Man / ワンパンマン / Wanpanman



I remember when I was 8 years old, I used to be excited for a new Pokemon episode everyday. I used to run from school to my house so that I wouldn’t miss any single moment. Then as you grow up, such excitement starts to fade away. No matter how good a show is, only a few shows can generate such an excitement for a viewer. I never would’ve imagined that an anime would make me feel that excitement again at 20 yrs. And lucky for me, it aired on Sundays!



Story: 7/10

One Punch Man’s story is simple- The story of an average guy who’s a hero for fun. Now what makes this unique is that this show is a parody. For people new to that genre, it’s an imitation of other work. Basically what this anime does is it makes a parody out of shounen genre, where you have a male protagonist who gets beaten down, and then trains or in some other way defeats the bad guy. Here, the MC is just over-powered to the extent that he gets depressed there’s no one strong enough to challenge him. You might think that such a strong person would be revered as a God by the people. Sadly, you’re mistaken. The people don’t even know he exists!! . This really plays a major point in the later episodes, when Saitama has to show his strength infront of the public, and becomes one of the highlight of this series. This show was created to poke fun at all tropes in anime. This is a story made to enjoy, not to be taken seriously. Anyone who is open-minded will enjoy this anime to its full extent.



Art: 9/10

Now the only reason I gave this a 9 is because of the meticulously high standard set by Ufotable in the Fate series and Kara no Kyoukai movies. But by no means is it far behind. In most anime, usually the MC has some kind of weapon, you can just add some flashy effects to go with it. But here, we have a hero who’s weapon are just his fists . The fights had to be carefully drawn and animated. And when you have a studio like Madhouse doing it, you know they rarely disappoint. Fluid motion, spectacular effects, no weird faces, nothing overdramatic. Simple, yet awesome. The best part of this anime has to be the “Saitama Expressions”. If you didn’t smile atleast a little when you saw the “OK” face, then I guess your sense of humour is locked up somewhere. Madhouse know how to make the viewer enjoy the anime to the full extent. The way they used Tatsumaki’s “chibi mode” expressions from the webcomic, and boldly animated it in the anime deserves separate praise. Also the landscape for OPM universe is also brilliant. Even the ordinary people are drawn with careful details. Another important aspect here is the design for the villains, especially Sea King and Boros, each having something unique, and they give out the “strong, badass” vibe when you just look at them. Also, the art in the final episode is 11/10.

Sound: 10/10

 
God-level. Simply eargasmic. When you have an opening theme that makes you want to shout “ONE PUUUUUUUNCH!” every time you hear it, you know the soundtrack’s gonna be amazing. For me, the first thing I’d hear in my mind every morning when I wake up is someone shouting “ONE PUUUUUUNCH!” That’s how much I love that opening theme. From character bgm’s to fight themes, the music suits every situation perfectly, making them more epic. I would rewatch every episode again just to hear the music, that’s how good it is. The voice acting is also brilliant, especially Aoi Yuuki, who brilliantly brought out Tatsumaki’s bratty voice, and Yuki Kaji, whose voice fits Sonic’s character perfectly.
 


Character: 10/10

Once in a lifetime you watch shows where every character in it makes an impact. One Punch Man is mine. I can probably name every single character that appeared in these 12 episodes. That’s how much of an impact they make. Saitama with his care-free attitude, the loyal cyborg Genos, Jack’o Lantern Panic, Brattymaki, Justice Rider, the S-class heroes like Silver Fang, Metal Bat, Pri-Pri Prisoner, King, and all the others have a uniqueness that makes you remember them. Even characters whom play a cameo like Carnage Kabuto, Mosquito Girl, Snek, Stinger, Amai Mask manage to leave an impression, which is something most anime fail to do. And when you have such a strong character cast, the anime rarely falters.


Enjoyment: 10/10

This anime was made to enjoy, and One Punch Man nails the formula. I enjoyed every second of it. 24x12 minutes of pure awesomeness. It makes you laugh, the “wow” feeling when you watch those spectacularly animated fight scenes, even the simple dialogues between the characters make you laugh hard. There is no walking in on naked girl scenes , fan service and other shit like that. This anime makes me remember that Charlie Chaplin didn’t have to talk to make people laugh and enjoy his movies. Just his reactions and expressions were enough. And Saitama’s expressions and reactions reminded me of that again. And no matter how many times you rewatch it, you’ll never get bored. That’s the kind of masterpiece this is.



Overall rating: 10/10

One Punch Man is a masterpiece. I’ve been watching anime for about 8 years, watched around 400 anime series, and I’d only have around 5 anime which I’d give a 10/10. But this show is just simply that good. If I could I’d have given this a 999/10 for enjoyment. Studio Madhouse is just leagues ahead of any anime studio. I wish I could go to Japan and personally congratulate them for making such a great anime. While I’m at that, I could also beg them to make a Season 2 of the anime when the manga has enough material for it. Natsume Shingo, the director of this anime, deserves all the credit for bringing together an amazing team, and voice cast to create this anime. Overall, One Punch Man does what it sets out to deliver, Entertain. And boy oh boy it does so in style!!
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

51 comments:

  1. That was a really long comment at my blog , I never seen people like you who's so precise in their comment. I really like your point at K industries . More than that , your blog ! It's awesome full of japanese vibes . I never heard of One punch man but after seeing your post , now I really want to watch it now . I just followed you through instagram . Let be friends .

    http://hellosihui.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that was A point out after I'm seeing their review ok K induestirs , but nonetherless neither was'nt true... Now back to the topic . I believe you will love this anime , you know how marvel's hero meet their villains right ? It's almost like an epics happen especially their fight scene was superb !! . ENjoy :D

      Delete
    2. you're such a detailed person . Thanks for sharing this review as well .

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha alright , Yes you must watch this anime . The first season was superb , Now they're airing the second season on kissAnime . Enjoy ! :D

      Delete
  3. No wonder lots of people really enjoy one punch man. i guess i will check the manga first. thanks for your details' review :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I have'nt read the manga yet , I don't how why I skip it . But the bright side is , an anime itself , it's already good :)

      Delete
    2. Haha I had to since Im not goin to question lots if I dont understand the anime.

      Delete
    3. Haha that is one of my habits once I want to start watching any anime :3

      Delete
  4. Hahaha. His face look alike tenshinhan in dragon ball Z . Handsome. Haha. Act, i never watch anime (but i watch conan, dragon ball, naruto, doraemon) *hope this cartoon in category anime* haha. Seriously, idk how to read comic of anime. Thats why i doesnt watch anime too much. Haha. But i will watch this anime. In Sha Allah :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that you're mention all of titled above are Anime . Yes it is , if that so , you tried to read their manga first but I recommend to watch anime first bcs you can feel their tense , Can I suggest you one anime , sports anime like Haikyuu , you can feel the air of pride n glory , :D. When you're mention DBZ , most of the otakus they always make a comparison between OPM n DBZ bcs of their similarities in character in villain but the difference is , the heroes ! OPM heroes totally from another level , you can't finds any anime like this anime yet :D . Thanks for your comment Ikaa . I hope you do enjoy to watch this anime :)

      Delete
    2. Oh yaaa. U are welcome. Oh i forgot somthng. I do watch sport anime which is "prince of tennis" hahha. I never miss every single moment like i was childhood with my older siblings when watch the pokemon. Haha the RR group is the bad one.

      Delete
    3. Haha you do watch Anime ! . Haha . Yes it is ! and Thank you :D

      Delete
  5. Oh fogot somethng. Yes agree with SiHui . You are such a detailed person. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe i finished reading this post haha. most of the time i won't read anything about anime bcos i just don't like it.. no offence :p idk why i dont like anime, manga or stuff like that. but based on ur review, seems like its worth to watch it. whats ur opinion? should i try to watch it? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha alright can I give my opinion first haha : So in anime there's a lot of genre that we can actually decided which one we should watch or read first . So we talk about genre . For me as long as it's "anime" , I can watch all genre without hesitations . So for you ! . Which genre would you like the most ? Romance , sports ( Most recomended ) , shounen , sines , fantas all any other would you like , If you ask One punch man , I WILL definitely recomemded to you that That you "MUST" watch this anime because it was too good to watch ! . So you can go to Kissanime.com . Browse any genre that you prefer and watch . Believe me , most of new Anime really makes you some "groove" haha Thanks for your comment Fieyqa . Any question pls do ask at my Chatting Box , I will definitely replied :) . Enjoy :D

      Delete
    2. Hahaha thanks, i will consider ur opinion :p By the way, did u just stated that doraemon, dragon ball, conan and naruto are categorized as anime too? :O i watch all of them. does that mean i watched anime too without realizing it? hahaha lol to me XD i thought they're just 'cartoon' and anime is something diff. i guess idk a lot about anime -.-" thanks for the website too! bookmarked dulu! ^^

      Delete
    3. Haha yes you watch it without realizing that "it was actually an Anime" Haha

      Delete
  7. I'm so in love with one punch man ! every episodes fullsof humor , excitement and actions !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed ! but I;m still pitied of him ( saitama ) that "citizens" still doesnt believe that "one punch" killed are not true . If you look at in each every episode , he take down those enemies like was its nothing until he find genos . Even genos one of the powerful S rated villain in galaxy also cant match him either !

      Delete
  8. SUCH A DETAIL PERSON AND I LOVE YOUR POST XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , you should watch this anime too , It's a lil bit of different from the other anime but "unique" is viewer expectations :D

      Delete
  9. my crush likes this anime. haha k thanks for reminding me of him xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha How long that you want to be of his crush , huh? Haha Alright this is out of anime topics haha but I will give you my opinion . Approach first before your heart start sinking . HAha

      Delete
  10. hi , woah your blog is awesome !

    hehe personally think one punch man is a very straightforward anime that tend to ridicule other typical hero action fight manga/anime but turn out to be extremely entertaining and highly well received , cant wait for season 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahah ! agreed ! People say that about at least one show per season and it was right once with Tokyo Ghoul (haha) But this show has a chance to get popular, manga already has a lot of good word of mouth :D

      Delete
  11. i love the opening :D

    i didnt watch the anime yet, but i read the manga, overall i love it :3

    cant wait for S2 XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already aired at Kissanime.com S1 ( One Punch man ) . S2 ( One punch man special ) :D . you read OPM manga , you definitely love OPM anime ! , Enjoy :)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for visiting my blog. With reading entries in your blog i think i will improve my english. Awak mmg seorang yang details orangnya. I love anime to by watch prince of tennis, slamdunk, ranma, and a lots more.

    Btw, nice sharing about punchman. Atcually i didnt know about it. But its okay to know the sinopsis here. Oh. Happy new year to you. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a kind words . Thank you wardah . Yes there's alot of anime that must be seen in this year , but like someone said to ne "One at a time" so take it slowly . Upcoming new anime most of them are so good . Enjoy :D

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. The first season they only have 13th complete episode , you can make it in one day . haha Thanks for your comment btw :D

      Delete
  14. I love watching anime but didn't have much time now :( juggling between studies, books and movies too haha. hope could get back to anime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you should fullfilled with your "studies" first , I'm kinda do both . haha I'm studying while watching Anime , Hurm that was a bad habit actually , haha but you can watch it later , you still have a time to spare at least 30 minutes of your free time should be fine :D

      Delete
  15. i love this anime because the action and comedy. cant believe that saitama's strong punches because of hell training until he lost his hairs and became bald. and cant satisfy myself since there only a few peoples knows saitama's true strength. saitama should get an award! hahahaa. XD hero for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha when you refered on the first season , he just do a basic training . I believe there's more to come on this S2 . Darn ! I feel excited alread. I'm trully looking forward of that awesome baldy Saitaman ! . Haha

      Delete
  16. One Punch Man is sooo viral! Anyway, new anime lists are waiting :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take a look at Japanese crunchy Anime forum yesterday , guess what ! there's more Sinen and sports category on this upcoming feb - march ! , 2016 looks like " a more actions to come ! " > :D

      Delete
    2. Really?? Holy...
      I really prefer animes like death note, sao, tokyo ghoul. Not really into the kawaii one though, hehe. Can't wait!

      Delete
    3. Hi Five , Me too ! More actions to come , more merrier it would be !

      Delete
  17. omg........
    you are one damn rajin guy to reply in comments with such a v.v. looong details huh! Hahahahaa and i cant believe my eyes that i actually did finish reading ur post and whoaaa. Penat ok. Hahahahahaha! Loljk. Anyway, i used to love anime hehe but tu sumpah dah lama n i only watch them at 715 astro tu ha so tertengok Yakitate Japan la, Dr Black Jack la, K-on!, what else alahai eee rindu! Hahahaha. But idk why tetiba tak tertengok dah hahaha. But then seeing bloggers like u, budak vanilla, hehe ada lg anime lovers ye. Qila je tak tahu hihihi.

    Thanks for the link hehe will try to watch them later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes it is ! That reminds me back when astro launch channel ANIMAX . At that time it was an Anime that called ROD ( Read or Die ) I remembered the date at that time 11/3/2008 !! I know because I make my own Anime diaries haha, always on TV , they made an AMV and previewed all upcoming Anime , So after ROD it was yakitate japan ! YJ one of my fav anime too , blackjack ( I like their opening song called "gekkouka" ) haha and of course K-ON first girl group kind of Anime launch on ANIMAX and that was between 2011-2012 . My gosh I love them ALL . haha . Thanks for your comment Aqilah . I hope you recontinued to watch this upcoming anime , I recommend you to watch HAIKYUU ! S1 and S2 . They're SUPERBLY GREAT !!! :D

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Take your time :) , I believe you can watch it entire season ( 1 ) for one day

      Delete
  19. Wanna watch this too but still don't have much time erghh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry there's plenty of time for that . chillax :D

      Delete
  20. hahaha i'm really love watch anime since I was kid. This anime I just start wactching ep 1 tapi tak nak teruskan haha nanti tak terbuat segala assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your article is very good and unique and reasonable for a new reader and it is not difficult for a new person.so that is why it is improve in a few days among the people.and this matched of writing is very unique and graceful for the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your article is very unique and powerful for new reader. Thanks

    ReplyDelete